Friday, June 15, 2012

Inadequacy

What am I supposed to say to my child who wants to know whether or not she should just come home because her father is dying or continue on with school plans in August? 
I realized today that thinking of the actual mechanics of death isn't just something we think about "when the time draws near" because we never know when that will be.  No one whom I would call a specialist seems to want to talk about time lines.  Just how long does it take to die of liver cancer and how does it happen?  I recognize the thought that time lines limit our ability to hope and strive.  I am assuming that I will be able to give my kids maybe a week or two, but then last night and today happen with excruciating pain, wondering if I should call the ambulance, drive him into town and put him in the hospital, give him enough drugs to take him completely out of his pain body, ....or.....who knows? 
The doc asked me today if the kids and I are dealing with the thought that he may die.  Yes, I think we are.  If we were all in one place I would get us into counseling.  But then maybe this process happens the way it happens and we're lucky we communicate our feelings to one another. 
Death-guessing. 
Who knows?  I have no problem with miracles.  It could happen.  Should we plan our lives like it IS going to happen?  Maybe.  Probably.  I know our intentions affect our cells, and our DNA.  In fact, our DNA isn't the only thing to control our cells, it's our intentions and our attitudes which control our DNA which controls our cells.  Ok, so how to plan life like a miracle is happening and balance with grief because death is near?  Maybe just give a little nod to death, but plan for life.  Maybe that's it.

I got a letter from the UM registrar today stating that I wouldn't be able to get my degree this time around because I haven't completed a class. (Internship).  My life has gotten totally off track.  I have to hand in my paperwork to get a grade.  Can't ever get the professor in the office when I can be there.  Maybe this is happening for a reason.  Which is  WHAT?

No comments:

Post a Comment